Visit The Isitfair HomePage Council Tax Discussion Forum
The Campaign for the Reform of Council Tax

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this the best on offer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Council Tax Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Discussion On Council Tax Alternatives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
christine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject:
Is this the best on offer?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/new-plan-end-council-tax-13384422

All the papers have carried this story this week. As far as I am concerned this is not a solution that merits any sort of discussion

Angela Wales

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject:

pril 2014

Quote:
It's time to ditch the unfair council tax

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/apr/01/time-ditch-council-tax-unfair-poll-tax

Joseph Rowntree Foundation Report

Quote:
After the Council Tax: impacts of property tax reform on people, places and house prices

https://www.jrf.org.uk/report/after-council-tax-impacts-property-tax-reform-people-places-and-house-prices
christine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject:

hy should I, whose property could fall into any band from B to H across the country, be expected to pay more council tax because of where I live?
The argument that everyone living in certain areas of the country is poor and the rest are rich doesn't carry any weight. Some of the most poverty stricken areas lay within these supposedly rich and leafy parts of the country.

Last year my council tax rose by just under 6%, some of that was for adult social care. I am informed that most of the rise the year before and last year went towards rises in salaries. Government support has dwindled to almost nothing in these 'richer areas'.

No matter where you live the state pension is the same. Mind you, more of the population of these 'poorer areas' work in Local Government or the civil service where most of the Government services (DVLC, National savings, Pensions, Premium bonds etc.) are dealt with. As a consequence they receive really good pensions.

Last year Hampshire County Council (which is where I live) paid over 80million into pensions. Cumbria a much smaller county paid, I am told, 53.7million. These pensions are unaffordable and unfair.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Council Tax Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Discussion On Council Tax Alternatives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: