Visit The Isitfair HomePage Council Tax Discussion Forum
The Campaign for the Reform of Council Tax

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are the highest council tax payers about to be caught again?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Council Tax Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Council Tax - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
christine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject:
Are the highest council tax payers about to be caught again?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7377569/MPs-call-huge-council-tax-hikes-southern-England-reflect-property-values.html

In the majority of cases the value of your house does not reflect your financial position. I am a non tax payer and because I live in the south of the country as a single occupant I have to pay over 1.5k pa. Put my home in practically any part of the country and it could appear in any band.

Should this spiteful demand be adopted by any Government then council tax has to be completely reformed and must be based on the ability to pay from income,

Many of us living in what is perceived a mansion because of the present system (I have a small bungalow) would be happy to move into smaller, cheaper homes but where are they? Certainly not in the part of the country where my friends and family live. Why should I be expected to move to an area of the country where property is cheaper and in my dotage become a lonely old woman? I have lived here most of my life.

The average council tax per dwelling in Manchester is 873 pa: the average council tax per dwelling here where I live is 1673pa nearly double that of Manchester. It is wrong to assume that those living in the 'Leafy South' are all very rich and those living in the north are very poor. I suspect that the average pensioner in both areas is living on similar income but one is having to find an extra 800pa for council tax alone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Council Tax Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Council Tax - General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: