Visit The Isitfair HomePage Council Tax Discussion Forum
The Campaign for the Reform of Council Tax

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Way off topic - but maybe not

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Council Tax Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Widen The Debate, Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

The UK should fund Human Space Flight in the near future
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 7

Banjax

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:
Way off topic - but maybe not

s an ex-physicist, I am all in favour of developing science and have a particualr interest in 'public understanding of science' etc.

But there are limits. I read today that some space scientists are trying to get the UK involved in MANNED space flights.
Quote:
It would also require a huge financial investment by Britain but in talks yesterday between Malcolm Wicks, the Minister for Science and Innovation, and Dr Griffin, the possibility was raised.
Its certainly not ruled out at this stage, said a DTI spokeswoman. It is something that was mentioned by Nasa. They would be on for us to have as big a role as we can play. It will be examined by officials and ministers.

I think until the health service, education, pensions etc are adequately funded, the UK should NOT get involved with this. Unmanned space experiments are expensive enough and I am not convinced that manned space flights provide enough 'added value' over unmanned flights to justify a the additional cost and b. the risk to the humans

What do others think ?
Anne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject:
HELP PLAN FOR WATER BILLS

Bruce

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject:

e already have 646 space cadets in mission control in Westminster. Bearing in mind Beagle (OU/Blue Peter joint effort), Scottish Parliament Building, Dome, 2012 olympics (already Coe and Jowell are jetting around world although now that they are radioactive we can monitor them) and they want manned space flight. Now apart from sending Prescott to live on another planet (some people think he is already there) is there any advantage in manned space flight for UK. It is going to over budget, out of date, some guy get'll peerage for supplying the bits and it won't fly.

By the way Anne why is your posting about water bills here
Banjax

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject:

es - there are some advantages. It
- enthuses children eg. to get involved in science (we do need a firm scientifically trained base to supply industry)
- creates some hi-tech jobs

I just think it is simply TOO expensive and most of the gains can be made through less expensive un-manned flights.
Anne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Bruce wrote
Quote:
By the way Anne why is your posting about water bills here

Bruce.. because it is off topic. Off Topic postings are removed if they are on the Council Tax discussions.

Bruce

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:

o Anne I meant why was a posting about water bills in a thread about manned space flight, why wasn't it on its own in a new thread about water bills.

Banjax we can have science without manned space flight there is the gyroscope research that the late Professor Laithwaite was doing for use in space probes. There is all the science needed for things here on earth.
Anne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject:

ruce ... are you picking on me because I can put up a good fight at the minute. ??? Sorry about that.

Bruce

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject:

o not me I never pick fights unless you are part of the government, LA, large bullying company or jobsworth in a uniform and I know you are none of these. I couldn't see the connection between space travel and water bills then I realised that it must have gone in this thread instead of main off topic thread. You've been watching too much of the Parliament channel.

Oh and I forgot all those petty little fascsts who work in airports.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Council Tax Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Widen The Debate, Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: